A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it.
Frank A. Clark

Our family

Our family
October 2011

Monday, January 3, 2011

everyone loves a re-run...

This is the note I first posted on facebook back in June(2010) about our very first placement. It actually preceeds the previous blog and should catch you up to speed with everything before Baby H. So technically this is blog #2, but really it's the one that started it all. For some of you it's a repeat, for everyone else...Enjoy!
so here's the story, or atleast the parts I can tell you...
We got a call last nite(monday) at 830pm about two girls needing an emergency placement. We said we'd take them and were notified that we were chosen at 9ish. Our case worker arrived at 930, and the girls arrived at 1045. Two sweet sleeping girls, bi-racial w/a big mop of curly hair.(I knew kiki & raven would love this) We were told that we were getting a 3 yr old and a 17 mth old...which we did, but our case worker didn't know that the 3 yr old was special needs. In our classes they always told us to be prepared to be flexible, so that's what we did.

After briefing us on the situation and the girls all 3 caseworkers left around 1130 and the 3 yr old decided she wanted to read book, watch movies and generally be awake. The caseworkers had said to be ready to keep these girls long term, atleast thru the starting of school, so as I sat and watched Monsters Inc. and fed her puffs(which are the greatest thing ever!) I started re-arranging our daily lives, our summer, our finances, etc... Soo, no one told me that watching movies does not put a child to sleep, it puts kris jones to sleep, but not a 3 yr old. So I told her we were going to go lay down in her bed, I sat down besider her and rubbed her back and she was out in just moments. That might be one of my greatest accomplishments yet. :)

At 430 the baby woke up. Not used to hearing cried in the middle of the night, I jumped up and went to get her. We rocked, and rocked and rocked and after about 30 min when I thought she was asleep I started making my way back to their room when she lifted her head off my shoulder and said "HI." I knew she was not going back to sleep anytime soon. At 6am Kris woke up and came in to the living room. She went right to him w/out hesitation. And for those of you who know kris well, he does not do slobber, snot or sticky. So for him to reach out and take this baby, sticky and all, just did my heart good.

The more we watched these girls we realized that they have been loved. They were not the neglected type. They were very affectionate with us, with each other, baby dolls and Harley. The 3 yr old, even with being special needs, knew sign language(see Ashley it does come in handy!) and would tell me when she wanted more and such. So we were not surprised when the social worker called and said that she was on her way to pick them up. We don't know the whole story, but somewhere/sometime during the nite the judge decided to give the parent(s) another chance. We were sad to see them go, but relieved to know that their situation was being worked out...and selfishly I was relieved to know that I was getting a shower today. ha!

We now know that we can handle this whole parenting thing, and that we will work at this as a team...and that kris can do sticky. :)

Thanks to all of you who texted, prayed, called, offered help and brought clothes. You know who you are and you all are rockstars! (You should have seen us before the kids got there...running around like crazy people.)

Thanks for being our support system, we love ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment